Quarterfinal matches are upon us in this year’s Flying Officers Cup and all teams are gearing to light the World once again with the best football display we have witnessed from the group stages.
A lot of excitement, thrills and fireworks were experienced from the ongoing Flying Officers Cup, the best female football preseason tournament in the continent and there’s a need to quickly refresh you with how the first round went down to have in-depth knowledge of the teams competing in the knock out stages and what to expect from them all along.
From Osun Babes crashing defending Champions Bayelsa Queens out of the competition to FC Robo Queens scoring six(6) goals against Prince Kazeem Eletu Queens, to non-league side Lakeside Queens holding Nasarawa Amazons till the last minute of the game, it has been a tournament to savour for.
The Flying Officers Cup is a special tournament, often offering women football fans and players the highest highs they can ever imagine.
After a week of non-stop football activities, it has all come down to eight (8) teams qualifying for the Quarter-finals. Naija Ratels, Osun Babes, FC Robo Queens, Nasarawa Amazons, Edo Queens, Confluence Queens, Royal Queens and Sunshine Queens. Here are some of the statistics that have illuminated the tournament so far in the first round.
• (4) No of teams that have participated in the last ever edition of the Flying Officers Cup (Nasarawa Amazons, Edo Queens, Honey Badgers, Naija Ratels).
• (16) No of teams participating in the 2021 Edition
• (24) The number of games played so far in the first round.
• (18) No of wins recorded in the first round of games.
• (5) No of draws in the first round of games.
• (54) Number of goals scored so far. The highest number ever recorded in the first round of games of the Flying Officers Cup.
• (1) Just one Hat-trick so far in the first round, scored by Emem Essien of Edo Queens against Lakeside Queens.
(2) No of braces scored. Juliet Sunday of Bayelsa Queens against Prince Kazeem Eletu and Ibinabo Georgewill’ against WACO Ladies FC.
• (20) Number of clean sheets recorded by Goalkeepers in the first round of games.
• (3) Own goals recorded in the first round. (Ayo Anifowoshe Prince Kazeem Eletu Queens Vs Bayelsa Queens) • (Jimoh Ajoke, Prince Kazeem Eletu Queens Vs FC Robo Queens) • (Ambali Sekinat, Lakeside Queens Vs Nasarawa Amazons).
• (2) Two teams yet to concede, Edo Queens and Confluence Queens.
• (3) Ghana Police Ladies, the team with the highest number of draws in the first round.
• (9) Highest number of goals scored by a team in the first round (Confluence Queens).
• (2) Edo Queens and Confluence Queens are the only teams to win all their three matches in the group stages.
• (1) Mercy Omokwu of Confluence Queens scored the fastest goal of the first round. Her goal was scored in the first minute against SGH Sports Academy Amazons.
• (6) Bayelsa Queens 6-0 win over Prince Kazeem Eletu Queens, was the biggest margin of victory seen in the first round.